June just flew by! I’m sipping my first cup of coffee for the day and reflecting on my progress with my goals that I wrote out. So here is where I am as of today:
- Put at least $700 to my CC debt – So far I’ve put $556 to my CC this month! I’ll get paid one more time before June is over and already have $400 scheduled, so I should be good on this goal!
- Sell ALL unwanted stuff, and toss the rest – I’ve been listing on Postmark and Mercari and eBay, I’ve sold a few old electronics and a decent amount of high-end makeup. No one is biting on the clothes. I’m going to donate some stuff by next weekend.
- Use cash system for daily spending – This I haven’t been doing.. mostly because my first paycheck I spent all on rent, paying my CC and paying myself that I didn’t have much cash left over, so I guess that’s a good thing? I took out $20 yesterday and had $6 in my wallet already, so I think this will be good going into the next week!
- Eat out less – I have been doing a lot better packing lunch! I’d say at least 4/5 days! However, over the weekend our friends were in town and we spent a lot of money on eating out, and we have other friends in town today. We literally never go out on the weekend, so for now I’m sucking it up in an attempt to be social.. since we tend to be pretty anti-social 99% of the time.
- Get BW back below 130lb – I’m about 132 as of today. Getting back on track with eating packed food and hitting my food targets per day has helped, but I haven’t been working out at my normal volume thanks to a string of small, annoying injuries (sprain here, tweaked my back, sprain there). I’m hoping by the last week I can resume normal workouts, and at least get within 1lb to this goal to be on track for August.
How are you all doing with your goals for the month or the year?
Yikes. You heard me, I don’t use a budget.
First before I get ripped a new one, that’s not to say I have never used a budget. I most certainly have and probably with success. However more recently, I’ve either started to use one and quit halfway through a month, or just haven’t at all. I make enough to sustain my living (obviously) but somewhere down the road in the past few years I’ve found a budget more daunting than useful.
BUT that’s all about to change. I get paid on Friday, and I’m going to start with tracking my expenses again and giving every dollar a job. That means I’ll need to create and use a budget. I’ve checked out a few templates via Budgets are $exy, so I’ll start by checking those out again and maybe using one to start.
I track what I eat on a daily basis, my workouts, and even my progress at work. So why the hell am I not tracking my financial progress other than knowing what’s paid off and what isn’t?
How do you budget? Do you go old school with excel or pen and paper or do you use an online budgeting tool like YNAB, Mint, etc?
I’m excited for my first list of (financial) goals in a while! There is something satisfying about writing down some goals and exposing them to the public that makes you more likely to follow through. I want to set goals, but I want to be realistic. This is my first month back to trying to be more accountable for myself and my money so I’m taking baby steps here. Here is what I want to achieve this month:
- Put at least $700 to my CC debt – I know in my previous post I said I can comfortably put $800 to my debt, BUT I also want to be realistic. I’ll be done paying off my personal loan on Friday, so that’s at least $351 I can put to my CC.
- Sell ALL unwanted stuff, and toss the rest – I have a lot of stuff I’ve been holding on to because “I think I can sell it”. I’ll make an actual attempt to sell all this stuff this month, and if it isn’t gone by June 30, off to Goodwill it goes. I’ll be adding all that extra cash to my debt.
- Use cash system for daily spending – Back in my young(er) day (circa 2008) I used a cash system for a while. I do think it made me more accountable for my spending, but nowadays with how many places I go in a single day and how spacey I can be, I don’t feel comfortable carrying around this much cash. So I’ll take out a weekly allowance for spending + gas, and leave my plastics at home.
- Eat out less – I have to admit, living in LA has been bad for my diet and my wallet. I got a little lazy in May, and the deliciousness this city has to offer got the best of me. This is kind of a subjective goal, so I’ll aim to pack a lunch and snacks at least 4/5 days each week and track this goal daily in my Passion Planner.
- Get bodyweight back under 130lb – Not PF related, and I may touch on what my fitness extracurricular of choice is nowadays, but with the above goal also came a little extra fluff. I will need to be at a certain weight by August 12th for a fitness related event, so I need to get a start on this sooner than later.
I’ll leave the goals there for now. I’ll be documenting my progress, and hoping to meet all of them! What are your goals for the upcoming month?
At the end of 2017, we ran into an emergency and didn’t have the savings to cover it. With not so hot credit from the past few year’s financial mistakes, I had to take a personal loan with a ridiculous interest rate to cover our asses. My original intent was to pay it off in three months and here we are in month 5 of the year and I’m still paying it off.
I decided to take out the majority of the savings I have to pay this thing off by the start of June. Literally daily it accrues enough $ to fund my daily coffee fix plus some. The monthly set payment is $351, so with that $351 I can start paying down my “normal” interest rate CC debt much sooner.. and start replenishing my emergency fund and savings to avoid this from ever happening again.
The payment is automatic and apparently there is no way to pay the upcoming payment, so today I paid $1225 towards this pain in my ass, saving the $351 in my checking for the upcoming payment. Then when I get paid on the 2nd I’ll pay off the balance in full!
Next up will be my Apple CC which I used to buy a new computer with a special interest rate. I can comfortably pay at least $800 to debt per month (after all my fixed bills, spending, and saving). My goal going into June is to get aggressive by putting at least $800 towards this debt, and clearing house by selling all my unwanted stuff and putting that towards this debt of $1800.
Ok ok, so here I am with another blog attempt. I had my blog at Blogger since a million years ago and with age I decided it was time to grow up and get with it, and get on WordPress. Their themes and look just felt more grown up to me, so I switched on over.
What isn’t grown up is my continued money situation which I’ll get into more detail soon. I’m writing this blog to be held accountable, even though I’m blogging anonymously. I’m a believer in putting goals on paper, or the internet – in order to meet them. So here I am making an attempt to unfuck my money situation one day and one dollar at a time.
I hope you’ll follow along, but if you don’t thats okay too. Anyway.. blog to you soon!